Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Assumptions and Reflections

My second story, a day-in-the-life story of Jason Evenson, the technical coordinator of the Union Colony Civic Center, reaffirmed my suspicions of the backstage environment. The backstage is a quiet place between shows. The loading dock and long halls marked with a chain of overhead florescent lights are out-of-the-way places that would be almost drab if not for little remnant’s of past shows hung on the walls and the anticipation of future events. But when a show comes to town, it is D-Day for all those involved at the UCCC.

As was the case with my last story, the amount of information I gathered – from observations, quotes, reactions, and deeper thoughts – far outweighed the room allotted for this story. But the same kindness that was showed to me by other members of the UCCC faculty and volunteers also extended to the folks I met for this story. The information gathering process provides such valuable insight into the life of the people I shadow, that it is always difficult to boil down all those qualities into a single topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment